Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Writing and Einstein

The Israel Academy of Sciences and Humanities in Jerusalem is all excited. It is now showing Albert Einstein's document on relativity. The thing is -- this groundbreaking theory was handwritten -- all 46 pages.

Now Einstein certainly did not have access to a computer. But I wonder if any of our scientists today can legibly handwrite anything. Don't get me wrong. I love computers. But sometimes I think people start keyboarding a little too early in the writing process.

Good writing is all about good thinking. Jotting down a few points and organizing them on paper before you work with them on a computer really does short circuit the writing process. I pity people who don't understand this and have removed all paper from their desks.

No comments:

Post a Comment