Monday, February 15, 2010

Grammar and Students
Are you appalled at the English grammar knowledge of today's young people? You're not alone. The University of Waterloo is one of the few post-secondary institutions in Canada to require students to pass an exam testing their English language skills. Almost a third of students fail it -- even those with good marks out of Grade 12. What should professors do? Should they fail students because they can't express themselves grammatically or pass students because they know the subject matter?

5 comments:

  1. Good question....I think the idea of the exam is a step in the right direction. Blog looks great by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When conducting a job interview, we ask the candidate to write something, usually a brief report or plan, as part of the interview. A written exam in post-secondary would help students prepare for the reality of the workplace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really good question. I think we need to go back to teaching grammar and spelling the way we did when I was in school. Nowadays they don't put enough emphasis on that subject. They teach students to spell it like it sounds and then they have a hard time once they're out of school.
    By the time a student reaches University level, he/she should be able to spell correctly.
    Having said that, I don't think they should fail them, but perhaps suggest they take upgrading courses in the Enlgish language before getting out into the job world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I can't believe I had a typo. In my last sentence, I meant to type English. Sorry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today's generation is too geared to communicating on their phones and grammar has been tossed out the door. The emails are much like their texting. PFA, BFF, etc. Like I'm supposed to know all of these? LOL!

    ReplyDelete